To some people, hedgehogs are unusual pets to raise. However, many hedgehog owners will disagree with that because there are lots of benefits attached to raising hedgehogs as pets. One of them is that they are adorable, quiet, unique, and entertaining.
There are lots of fun activities that you can do with hedgehogs. For instance, you can consider playing football/soccer with them. Apart from that, you can even consider playing the classic hide-and-seek game with your hedgehog. Here’s a quick question; what exactly will happen to your hedgehog when you go on vacation?
The first option for hedgehog owners about to go on vacation is to board it with a vet. Hedgehogs love being alone as long as they have enough food and water, and as such, you can always have your friend or neighbor check up on it once in a while. Also, you can consider taking your hedgehog with you on vacation.
Is it okay to leave your hedgehog alone for a week? What do you do with your hedgehog when you go on a vacation? Can I take my hedgehog with me on a vacation?
Can You Leave Your Hedgehog Alone For a Week?
Unlike cats and dogs, raising hedgehogs as pets is extremely inexpensive. Hedgehogs don’t always require the amount of care that other pets ask for. As such, they are easy to maintain and their food is also cheap to purchase.
Another interesting fact about hedgehogs is that they can be left alone at home for days. Yes, this is very possible because they only need a little emotional contact.
However, before considering leaving your hedgehog at home alone, you need to put a couple of things in order.
- First, you need to get enough food for your hedgehog. Hedgehogs can eat crickets, waxworms, mealworms, fruits, vegetables, cooked meat, cooked eggs, pinky mice, and dry cat biscuits. As such, you shouldn’t have a hard time getting your hedgehog enough food that will sustain it for a week.
- Another thing you need to get for your hedgehog is a good and dependable water source.
Although hedgehogs can be left alone for a week, you need to understand that they also need frequent supervision. This is important to be sure that they are very safe and healthy while they’re away.
Here are a couple of reasons why you need to have someone keep a check on your hedgehog while you’re away for a week:
- Your hedgehog might hurt itself with no supervision. This will most likely happen if you have more than one hedgehog.
- Your hedgehog can escape from its cage. If you’ve ever noticed it trying to escape in the past, then there’s a chance that your hedgehog will most likely try to escape while you’re away. To avoid that, you need someone to check on it from time to time.
- Before going on your trip, it’s important to tidy up the cage. An unmaintained cage will most likely attract flies to your hedgehog, leading to diseases.
So, the bottom line is that you can always leave your hedgehog at home and go for a week’s vacation. However, for the safety of your pet, ensure to have someone check on it regularly.
What do You do With Your Hedgehog When You go on a Vacation?
As a hedgehog owner, there are several different things that you can do with your hedgehog when you’re away on a vacation. If you’re only going for a day, all you need to do is provide the hedgehog with enough water and food.
Here’s the thing; unlike other pets, hedgehogs do not require a lot of care from you. Of course, I’m not saying that you shouldn’t take care of your pet. All I’m trying to say is that hedgehogs can stay for days with little or no care.
- If you’re going on a vacation for one week, you can still leave your hedgehog at home alone. However, you need to understand that it’s not ideal to leave the hedgehog for a week without checking on it. As such, you can consider asking your friend or neighbor to have a check on your hedgehog once in a while before you return. This way, you can be sure everything is okay with it.
- Alternatively, you can consider boarding your hedgehog with your vet for seven days. Your vet is, by far, the best person you can trust to keep your hedgehog safe while you’re away for a week.
- Furthermore, you can always take the hedgehog to your parents so they can help you look after it till you return from vacation. This is a good idea, especially if your parents love interacting with your pet.
Can You Take Your Hedgehog With You on a Vacation?
You can always take your hedgehogs with you on a vacation. These small and quiet creatures don’t have any issues with traveling with you. However, you need to pack enough food and water, which will last for the whole trip.
Things You Need For The Vacation
One of the things you need for the vacation with your hedgehog is a travel bag. This will allow you to keep your pet safe while you go on the car trip. That said, the safest place to keep your hedgehog is in the back seat, where airbags can not harm it.
Other essentials that you need for the vacation include baby wipes (for cleaning the hedgehog), cage, shelter or sleeping hut, bowls, litter tray, and blanket.
Things to do During The Trip
Here are some of the things you need to do during the road trip with your hedgehog:
- First, ensure you stop your car from time to time. The purpose of this is to check on your hedgehog and be sure it’s doing pretty fine.
- Furthermore, you need to know that heat is not so good for your hedgehog. At a temperature above 79 degrees Fahrenheit, your hedgehog can fall sick. Convulsions, panting, and weakness are some of the warning signs to understand that your hedgehog is suffering from overheating. In this kind of situation, all you need is to stop the car and take your hedgehog to a cooler and safer place.