There’s no denying that cats and dogs are the most popular pets in the United States and several other countries in the world. Apart from the two pets, other commonly raised pets in the US are hamsters, poultry, birds, rabbits, fish, and ferrets.
According to a study by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), more than 326 households out of every 1,000 own ferrets. This is to show how popular ferrets are in the United States. Ferrets are mostly loved and raised across the world because they are highly intelligent, inquisitive, companionable, and playful.
Ferrets like to be picked up and cuddled most of the time. However, you need to understand that they don’t like being moved around, especially from one home to another. That’s because ferrets like to maintain their existing environment.
Do ferrets like to travel? Do ferrets like being moved around? Is it possible to teach ferrets to come? Do ferrets like walks? These are the frequently asked questions that you’ll find answers to as you read through the rest of this post.
Do Ferrets Like To Travel?
As a ferret owner and a frequent traveler, I’m sure you must be wondering whether or not ferrets like to travel? Well, the simple and direct answer is yes; most ferrets like to go for a walk on their leash and harness.
Ferrets have certain unique features. For instance, they are very intelligent, quick, gentle, and playful. In addition to that; they also have excellent problem-solving skills – this explains why most of their owners prefer keeping them around.
Another great characteristic of ferrets is that they like to go on a walk with their owners while putting on their leash and harness. In addition to that, ferrets also like to travel on both long and short trips with their owners. However, they tend to become happier and more comfortable when they travel in their hammocks.
The only problem, however, is that traveling with your ferrets will most likely require you to make adequate preparation before setting off. For instance, if you’re going to be traveling with them by car, you need to keep everything in order to prevent them from falling sick.
The bottom line is that most ferrets will certainly appreciate traveling with you on both short and long trips. However, for you to keep them protected, you need to put a lot of things into consideration before setting off for the trip. Let’s have a quick look at some of what you need to do below:
- First, you need to visit your veterinarian so you can check the health status of the ferrets. In addition to that, you also need to vaccinate them and get them the right medications for the trip.
- Furthermore, you need to perform thorough research and choose a ferret-friendly location for the trip. This is important, as “raising ferrets as pets” are not considered legal in all cities and states across the world.
- Ensure that the ferrets are microchipped before setting off for the trip. This is essential because ferrets are great at escaping from their owners. By microchipping them, you can always locate them quickly if they get missing.
- Next, you need to keep a first aid kit in place for the trip. Inside the kit, you must have every emergency tool, including medications, to cater to your ferrets during the traveling period.
- During the travel period, ensure to feed the ferrets regularly (preferably every two hours). Give them food and water appropriately to prevent them from falling sick.
- Lastly, always consider stopping your car once in a while. The purpose of that is to take the ferrets on a walk so they can stretch their legs. In addition to that, you also need to control their body temperature; one way to do that is by taking them from the car and keeping them in a cool place during a hot day.
By following the simple tips mentioned above, you can always take your ferrets on a trip without necessarily having to worry about their health and safety.
Do Ferrets Like Being Moved Around?
As earlier mentioned, ferrets like to go for a walk on their leash and harness. However, you need to understand that not all of them prefer going out. Some of them actually hate going out for a walk. For these ferrets, the best you can do to stimulate them mentally and physically is to get them engaged with exercises at home.
Interestingly, there are several different games and activities that you can use to keep them engaged at home. Some of them are peek-a-boo, dancing, tunneling, and chasing games.
Furthermore, you need to understand that most ferrets don’t like to be moved around, especially if it has something to do with changing their environments.
Here’s the thing; ferrets prefer to maintain their status quo. Once they start living in an environment, they find ways to get comfortable there. So, moving them around to another environment will certainly make them feel uncomfortable. This explains why some ferrets end up becoming aggressive and tail-biting.
The bottom line is that most ferrets don’t like to be moved around, especially if it has a lot to do with permanently changing their environment.
Do Ferrets Like Walks?
Ferrets certainly like going for walks in their harness. However, it’s worth noting that not all of them like walks. For those that prefer going for walks, the best way to do that is by having them go in their leash and harness.
Can You Teach a Ferret To Come?
Unlike dogs, ferrets aren’t quite obedient. However, you can always train them to perform basic tricks, such as coming and sitting. The only problem, however, is that this could require a lot of your time and patience.
Here are a few simple and direct steps that you can follow to teach your ferrets to come:
- First, you need to take the ferret to a neutral location.
- Next, take a treat and stand about 1 foot away from the ferret. At this point, the ferret should be able to identify what you’re holding and get attracted to it.
- As soon as you notice it approaching you, say “come” out loud.
- Next, repeat the training but this time, stand about 2 feet away from the ferret.
- Again, repeat the training until you’re sure the ferret has learned the new behavior.